Monday, May 21, 2012

The Power of Prayer

I've been going through a rough patch lately, most likely because my mission is coming up in a little over a month and I'm planning on going through the temple for my endowments some time next week, so the adversary is working really hard to bring me down. I would be an emotional wreck if it weren't for prayer. Right now I'm feeling pretty good, a little bruised but managing extremely well. I won't go into detail about what has happening, but let's just say it is a lot of things from a variety of sources.

My preparation for the temple has really stepped up a lot. I find myself now reading the scriptures and other church texts in my spare time and my prayers are more sincere. Not a lot of people believe that there is a God and that we can communicate with Him and get any form of a response. Well, I am here to state that it is not true. God does hear our prayers and is always with us when times get tough. My friend Nancy who is on her mission at the moment shared with me a letter with a great scripture to understand how the Lord can help everything, and this is exactly how I felt over the past few days. It's found in Mosiah 24:14-15 and it reads:

"14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witness for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.
15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."

I was feeling really down about myself and my situation. Everything was falling upon my shoulders and I was crying and upset. I knew that these challenges were placed before me for a reason and that if I had to endure it I would, but it really hurt so I knelt by my bed and called upon God. I thanked my Heavenly Father for all that he has given me in my life including my burdens and I knew that this was a test. I told him about the pain I was feeling in my heart and the sadness and I asked him if there was a way to ease my burdens so I could figure out what to do I would be grateful. Immediately it was as if my feelings were lifted and I felt this freedom and peace so I could contemplate my situation. I continued to think through everything and once I decided on a course of action I asked the Lord if what I would do would help the situation and I could feel Him telling me that all would be well with my decision. So I did and it worked. Although now I still feel the hurt it is only very little, like a scar that has healed over. From this experience I know that I can handle anything life throws at me. He listens to our prayers and will do anything to ease our burdens no matter what poor decisions we or others make.

I love that we all have a Heavenly Father who wants the best for us. I love that He will continue to love us just the same even when we do things wrong. I love the Saviour for giving us the atonement so we can repent and turn to Him in our time of need, freeing us of burdens that feel too hard to bear. I promise that if you call upon the Lord with faith in Jesus Christ that you will feel his influence and guidance in your life. I testify that the Book of Mormon is true and that if you read from its pages you will know God and be able to find solutions to your problems in life. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true church upon the Earth re-established in these latter days under the direction of Jesus Christ and through his holy prophet Joseph Smith. Our current prophet, President Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet of the Lord and has the priesthood keys and authority to help guide and lead this church. He receives modern day revelation and instruction to help guide us in these dark times to find happiness and peace and attain eternal glory in the life to come. I know what I say is true because the Holy Ghost has testified the truth to me and I cannot deny it. The Lord has touched my life in so many ways and the happiness I feel is because I continually strive to do better, follow his commandments and live the gospel of Jesus Christ. Only through Jesus Christ can man be saved in the last days. I cannot wait to be set apart as a missionary for the Lord and be an instrument in his hands in the Auckland, New Zealand mission and all because I know that God lives and loves us all. I leave this testimony with you in the name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, Amen.

~ Sister H. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment