Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Holy Ghost and Fishing

I recently had a bit of a realisation the other night. I went fishing with a friend of mine, Reuben. He absolutely loves fishing, it's his favourite hobby and I was happy for an invite because I want to do as much as I can before I go on a mission and fishing is a little bit of an adventure for me. I've only been fishing once before in my life and that was when I was like eleven with my Dad. The only thing we caught was the last cast of the day and I pulled in an eel, which was pretty cool but it wasn't a fish.

Anyway, we went fishing on this really pretty beach at night. It's near the Gap and I think it was called Cove Bay or Beach or...something. It's on the back of these amazing properties, the water was crystal clear and they have a view of the city and a partial view of the Harbour Bridge. It was overcast but still very pretty.

As I was there fishing and looking out over the water I realised that fishing is a lot like the Holy Ghost and here is how I worked it out. I was standing in the water, not very deep and my line was somewhere out there but I couldn't see it. Throughout the process Reuben asks me if I had any nibbles, but not knowing what it felt through the rod I had no clue. He tried to show me by pulling on the line, which kind of helped and I think I may have felt it at one point, but I didn't catch anything. I just stood there, concentrating, feeling the vibrations of the rod as I would pull the line in bit by bit. With the Holy Ghost it's hard for one person to teach another exactly what it feels like. With every person it's kind of a different feeling. There is peace and calm and a warmth and understanding, but the actual feeling itself is hard to explain. Just like  Reuben explaining to me what a nibble was.

Now I haven't learnt how to cast out just yet, but casting out is a lot like opening yourself up to the Spirit. Putting yourself in places or situations in which you can find the Spirit. The Spirit in this fishing scenario is the fish. Now fish like to swim in certain areas, usually the more deeper waters, around rocks or jetty's etc which is like how the Holy Ghost is stronger when you are in a place away from danger and temptation.

Now I am not a genius when it comes to the Spirit. I consider myself still very new about it. There are some times when I pray and I can really feel it and really know that it is the Spirit talking to me, but it's generally only when I ask of it. I'm not so sure what it is like to be prompted by it out of the blue. I can't hear its small whisperings to guide me and I know that is something that is necessary for a mission. Just like fishing I need to cast out my line, trust in the feel of the rod and keep trying even when I keep pulling in nothing.

The basic breakdown of my analogy:
Fish - Holy Ghost
Rod - Method of seeking the Holy Ghost i.e prayer, fasting, reading scriptures and talks etc
Bait and Hook - Your spiritual desire and worthiness
Casting - Putting yourself in places to feel the Spirit i.e church, home, church activities

After my little epiphany is when Reuben pulled in our one and only catch of that evening. It was an Australian salmon which apparently is not even related to salmon at all but closer related to a trout...go figure! I guess it is kind of ironic how he caught the fish, being a return missionary he must know the Spirit better than me, but I'm sure that is all because of his own experiences. In either case I'm excited by the idea of going fishing again and trying pull in my own fish. If I do get one before my mission I'll see it as a sign that I will surely get many experiences of being guided by the Spirit. I doubt I need the fish as a sign, but it would be quite poetic.

Here is a picture of me with the fish to prove that I'm brave enough to hold one. I was pretty surprised by the texture of it and so happy it didn't jump around.


I only have two months left so I plan on having as many adventures as I can before I leave. I have a lot of things that I need to get done so I really need to be busy at the moment. I'll do my best to add a few more blogs as time passes.

I'm so grateful for the opportunity to go and serve the Lord in New Zealand and can't wait to get there. I know that as my service begins I will grow an understanding of the Holy Ghost as big as that fish I'm holding. Until then I'll continue to study and keep casting that line out and concentrating for that little tug to guide me. I leave this things with you in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

~ Sis. H. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment