Friday, March 23, 2012

Update...

So I officially submitted my missionary paperwork to my bishop yesterday. Our first interview is tomorrow and surprisingly I'm calm. On Thursday when I was told I was ready to submit the paperwork I was a mixture of nerves and excitement. Excitement because the day was finally here and that it was the first step to really leaving on my mission. Nerves main because I'm not sure how things will work back home with my family without me around. There are so many factors to it all. I know they say that when you go on a mission the Lord will bless your families for your dedication, and I know it will work that way, but with all the possible outcomes popping into my head the doubt kind of creeps in. It's one of my biggest problems. After all, the reason why I never left on my mission earlier was a mixture between University and family so I'm still a little worried about it.

The excitement however drowns out all of the negatives and I've been talking to a lot of return sister missionaries. All of them love the MTC and compare it to a loving sanctuary. The people who run it make sure your head is in the right space and they act as kind of nurturing parents and a support network. The food there is supposedly amazing and they have healthy options. They have firesides and talks all the time along with classes and practice teaching session in real life scenarios. The one thing they all say is that it is the best learning experience you'll ever get because you not only learn about yourself but about the Lord. That there isn't really much you can compare it to, to explain how good it is. The only common flaw is adapting to companionships. The only way a companionship will truly be successful is if you and your companion are on the same page or at the very least friends. I think my favourite tip so far is to really put the effort into everything you do to prepare for the MTC, because if you are not 100% dedicated when you get to the MTC you wont get the blessings and you won't be prepared once you get out there.

I got a letter from my friend Nancy who just recently left the MTC for her San Antonio, Texas mission and she keeps telling me how much she knows I'll enjoy being there. I hope I go to the one in Provo. I have a feeling I'll go international with my call, I just don't know where. I would really like Japan because I love the people, the culture and the language but anywhere that I am called to serve I'll go because I know that is where the Lord needs me most.

Anyway, I am really anxious to have the paperwork past the stake president and off to church administration so I can get my call. I'm more concerned about when I will go rather than the where. I just really want to be out there and starting a new adventurous chapter of my life so that I'll be ready to set some new goals for my future. I've been working up to the goal of serving a mission since I was nineteen and now I'm so close.

~ Sister H. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment