Wednesday, February 8, 2012

God is Our Loving Heavenly Father


I believe that God is the literal Father of our spirits. He knows each of us personally and watches over us. He sees all, knows all and is perfect. His love for us is endless. Now I know for some this can be hard to believe. How do I know that God exists? How do I know that he loves me at all?

Well, the first thing that is proof enough is the fact that we live here on this planet. We live on a large planet with many continents filled with plants and animals to for our use. We have the intelligence to create things to make our lives easier. What is the probability that all of this was created just by chance? A simple act of nature created the planet and we were formed by matter floating in space that evolved?  Did you know that if the Earth was not tilted on a slight angle there would be no seasons of the year and plant and animal life would not cover all of the land on Earth? The truth is that the probability is slim, minute, and almost impossible, but through God all things are possible.

He created this Earth for us to live on and filled with beautiful things. He grew fruit and vegetables in the Earth for nourishment, He grew trees to shield us from the Sun and use to build, He placed animals on the Earth and in the sea for food and to help us with hard tasks and He gave us insects to pollinate all the flowers to bring beauty to the world and help plants to grow. He didn't create a barren world with the harshest conditions. He created the heavens, the moon and the stars in the sky as proof of His great power as proof of his divine existence and to show that He is always here with us.

Why does God love us?
God loves us because we are all his children. Since Adam and Eve, God communicated with man through men known as prophets. He placed them on the Earth so that he could communicate with them and have the prophets tell man God's word. Prophets wrote down what God told them over time which are a record of Him. The  Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price are records of God's communications with man. God wants for us to return to Him and these records show us how we can return to Him.

One of the greatest stories that proves our Heavenly Father's love for us is the ministry and crucifixion of Jesus Christ. This is what is known as the Atonement. During Jesus Christ's life upon the Earth he would talk to and teach people the will of God. Inspire them to do good, to feed the poor and to love one another. Christ was perfect, he performed miracles and even when he suffered he loved everyone. This is because Jesus Christ had a very important role that was charged by Heavenly Father. As a perfect person on the Earth he would give up his life willingly for the sins of everyone that had been or will be upon the Earth. Why? Only through this selfless act would we be able to repent of our sins and return to Him. Jesus Christ was Heavenly Fathers first born, our elder brother and His most beloved. Heavenly Father gave his only begotten Son to the world as a sacrifice so that we can get a chance at Eternal life. Who else on the Earth would give up their child that they loved so dearly?

In the Bible, in the book of St John chapter 3 verses 16 to 17 it reads:
"16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."

In the Book of Mormon, God gave the prophet Lehi and his son Nephi (who fled from Jerusalem around 600 B.C) a vision of the tree of life.  They saw a large and beautiful tree which had fruit hanging from it which was "White, to exceed all whiteness" (1 Nephi 8:11) and "Desirable of all other fruit.' (1 Nephi 8:12). They ate the fruit which filled them with joy to their very soul. Nephi asked for the interpretation of the dream and an angel explained that the tree represented God's love for us and the fruit was the greatest gift he could possibly give which is eternal life.

How do I know that God loves me at all?
We are His children and he would not leave us alone on this Earth to fend for ourselves. He taught the prophets to teach us to pray to Him, but this is not all. He also gave us the Holy Ghost (or Spirit) as a companion and guide in our lives, so that when we pray we may feel God's love and guidance through the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost only dwells with us if we keep the commandments, when we sin the Holy Ghost cannot be near us, but through prayer and through asking for forgiveness with can feel the Spirit share with us Gods love.

The Holy Ghost can do many things. It can whisper to us in our minds and our heart. It can cause our hearts to burn gently and give us overwhelming feelings of peace, joy and comfort. 

  • Romans 8:16 (Bible - New Testament)- "16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God"
  • Moroni 8:26 (Book of Mormon) - "26 And the remission of sins bringeth meekness and lowliness of heart; and because of meekness and lowliness of heart cometh the visitation of the Holy Ghost, which Comforter filleth with hope and perfect love, which love endureth by diligence unto prayer, until the end shall come, when all saints shall dwell with God."
I bear testimony that if you kneel and pray to God and ask if you are His child and whether He loves you the Holy Ghost will reveal the truth to you. I have done it so many times and every time I have felt a love and a peace that I have felt with no other person. The Holy Ghost is there to help us communicate with our Heavenly Father. Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to talk to Him, to share with Him how we feel and let us ask him for help in our struggles. All He wants is for us to turn to Him, to turn to righteous living so he can bless our lives until we return to Him.

Life is not easy and it's not meant to be. We have to work hard, we have to live through many struggles that are physical, psychological and emotional, in order to push through them and better ourselves, to prove that we are worthy to receive God's greatest gift. Everyday when I look up into the sky, when I see what is around me, I see it as proof that God exists, that I am one of His children and that He loves me. I am thankful that I have a Father that loves me so much He gave his first born, my elder brother to the world as a sacrifice for all of our sins so that I have the opportunity to earn the right to eternal life. I love my Heavenly Father for the many blessings that he has given me. For a loving and yet disfunctional family that give me support, love and teach me patience. I am grateful for all I possess and for the education I've been allowed to have. However, of all the things that I am grateful for, I am most grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. If I wasn't a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints I know that I would be living in sin, that I would be unhappy with my life and feel that no one else understands me in the world and could ever help me. God knows us all personally and I bear witness that if you call to him in prayer you will feel His love and guidance rest upon you.

And I leave these things with you, in the name of our beloved Son and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.

~ Sister H. Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment